The Summer Academy in Global Food Law & Policy, directed by the excellent friend and Professor Alberto Alemanno, is an established one-week summer programme that brings together practitioners, policymakers, industry representatives and leading academics working in the field of food law and policy. It offers intensive training on the most innovative developments in global food regulation and provides a unique opportunity for professional development and networking in an informal and inter-disciplinary setting. By talking, studying and interacting with food experts from all over the world, participants are able to gain new perspectives into both their own sectors and international regulatory issues. This is achieved by combining traditional classroom instruction with experiential learning opportunities offered by dedicated and distinguished international experts.
The Academy will take place from Monday, 20 July, to Friday, 24 July, 2015 in Bilbao, Spain. The choice of this vibrant city will enable participants to benefit from the world renowned Basque cuisine, its privileged geographical location between the Atlantic sea and the Rioja region, as well as its distinctive architectural landscapes (with the Guggenheim Museum, Norman Foster’s Undergroud, the towers by Arata Isozaki and César Pelli and the Calatrava’s airport).
The key note speaker of the next edition of the academy is the UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food, Ms. Hilal Elver.
The provisional program is the following:
- Key Note address: “Appetite for Change: Tackling Undernourishment, Micronutrient Deficiency and Obesity” – Hilal Elver – UN Special Rapporteur for the Right to Food
- The Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership and Food Trade – Alberto Alemanno – Jean Monnet Professor of EU Law, HEC Paris and Global Clinical Professor, NYU School of Law
- Tensions between Food Security and Ecologic Urgency – Richard A. Falk – Albert G. Milbank Professor of International Law and Practice, Emeritus at Princeton University
- The Obesity Challenge: What Role for the Law in the Prevention of Non-Communicable Diseases? – Amandine Garde – Professor of Law at the University of Liverpool
- The Perils of Comparative Food Law: Convergence, Divergence, and Complexity in US and EU Food Law – Neal Fortin – Director of Institute for Food Laws and Regulations, Michigan State University College of Law
- Food Fraud: Guilty or Innocent? – Gilles Boin – Partner at Product Law Firm
- Bridging the Gap between Behavioural and Experimental Policymaking and Obesity: Unleashing the Power of Peers for Healthy Nutrition – Pelle Guldborg Hansen – Founder of iNudgeyou and Professor Director of ISSP at Roskilde University
- The Protection of Food-Related Geographical Indications in the Global Village: The TRIPS regime and the Battle between the Old World and the New World – Enrico Bonadio – Senior Lecturer in Law, City University London
- Food safety expert panel: A comparison between the United States, the European Union, Japan, and China – European Food Safety Agency (EFSA) presentation
And many more sessions and speakers to be announced.
As former participant to this event I warmly suggest you to attend!
To download the 2015 preview program, please click here