This week on the RASFF database (Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed) we have two recalls from consumers in EU in the alert notification:
– Allergens: undeclared celery in frozen sweet potato burgers and vegetable burgers, following consumer complaint. Origin Estonia, notified by Estonia, distributed also to Finland;
– Pathogenic micro-organisms: Listeria Monocytogenes in farmhouse cheese with red culture, following company’s own check. Origin Germany, notified by Germany, distributed also to Austria.
We have also three recalls, following information for attention and information for follow up notification:
– Foreign bodies: dead insects in breakfast cereals, following a consumer complaint. Origin France, notified by Greece;
Between the alert notifications, followed by a withdrawal from the market of the product:
– Pathogenic micro-organisms: Listeria Monocytogenes in raw milk cheese, following company’s own check. Origin France, notified by France, distributed also to Belgium, Denmark, Germany and Switzerland;
– Industrial contaminants: benzo(a)pyrene and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in smoked sprats, following an official control on the market. Origin Latvia, notified by Hungary;
Regarding border rejections we have, among the others, Salmonella spp. in frozen poultry meat preparation from Brazil and in dried pet food from China, Salmonella Hadar in frozen turkey meat preparation from Brazil, aflatoxins in roasted pistachios from Turkey, high count of Enterobacteriaceae in ice cream from the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, shigatoxin-producing Escherichia coli in frozen boneless beef meat from Argentina, dead insects and excrements of insects in almond kernels from the United States, too high content of colour E 124 – Ponceau 4R / cochineal red A in strawberry flavoured syrup from Israel, benzalkonium chloride (BAC) in fresh eddoes from Costa Rica, histamine in chilled tuna from India, poor temperature control of chilled fish from Senegal, mercury in frozen snapper from New Zealand, cadmium in frozen small squids from China, absence of health certificate(s) for rice from China.
For feed, we don’t have any relevant notification this week.
For food contact materials we have border rejections for migration of chromium from dies for meat grinder from Hong Kong and from barbeque tooling set from China. Migration of manganese from BBQ trays from China.